Beach, May 2014

Beach, May 2014

Monday, July 6, 2009

the return of the sewing machine









So with this heat wave and the fact that Natalie likes to look out and has been spending a lot of time in Aiden's old silk/micro suede pocket sling I decided to make a warm weather version. I was really starting to feel bad when I would lay her down after she fell asleep in it and she would be covered in sweat. So this is my summer sling. I made it out of a cotton poplin with 3% Lycra for just a bit of stretch, something the other sling was missing. I also cut it down as much as possible in the shoulder area so there would be less material across my back, the serious disadvantage of my Moby this time of year and the only other baby carrier I have that allows a forward facing baby. I am quite pleased with the way this turned out and I love how light weight it is and it folds up small enough to stuff in my little diaper bag for outings.

I have also started a sun dress, although I started this on 4th of July and it's still not done. Here is my starting point. Do you like that I have to do my designing on the kitchen floor? yeah, NICE. Some day I will have my own studio space

The design is drawn on here you just can't see it

First cut, I ended up taking in another couple inches on the side after I tried it on

I did the gathers using elastic thread. This was my first time using it and I have to say I like it a lot, it was slow going since I have a lot of boobs to fit in the elastic area but I like the way it turned out.

So her it as right now. I have the straps made but I haven't gotten Loren to pin them on for me, and I can't decide if I should use snaps in the front to make breast feeding easier. I also need to hem it. But it's a start. I have a panel skirt started too, but my measurements went wrong somewhere and it's kinda big. I haven't figured out how to size it down with out ripping out all 8 panels. Maybe next week! It sure is nice to have the sewing machine back out, I've missed her and I know Loren has missed the mess on the dining room table!
Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment